Welcome to the Blue Print for Repairers Technical Library. To view the Technical Library simply enter your username and password above, if you do not have a username and password please select 'Register Now'. The Blue Print Technical Library is a business to business tool and as such access will only be given to those who work in the independent aftermarket repair industry. If you already have a username and password to access Blue Print LIVE! they will automatically give you access to the Technical Library.
By taking a few moments to register you will gain access to the following features:
Blue Print LIVE! - State of the art online catalogue and technical reference system
- Fast and easy to use online catalogue - available 24hrs a day
- All the latest Blue Print catalogue information updated every 10 minutes
- More than 3,800 Japanese and Korean models, covering 180,000 applications
- 110 Japanese Grey Import models covering 380 model variants
- More than 4,700 Grey Import parts
- Over 530 part numbers covering over 30 European spec American models
- 20,000 product images, including thousands of Hi-Res images
- New product request facility
- Full details of 'New to Range' items
- Technical bulletins at the click of a button on each relevant part number
Screen shot taken from Blue Print LIVE!
Fault Finder - Diagnostic Training - Powered by Pro-Auto Training
- Pro-Auto provide the very best quality automotive technical training and ATA assessment services
- Access to dozens of training articles covering: Anti-lock Braking Systems, Air Conditioning Systems, Diagnositc Techniques, Essential Electrical Skills, Hybrid Technology, Multiplex CAN Databus Systems and Oscilloscope Testing
- Access to detailed diagrams and illustrations
Extract from one of the many Diagnostic Training articles:
ABS - the systems
Basic operational overview
The ABS ECU monitors individual wheel speeds and calculates overall vehicle speed by taking an average of these values.
The picture shows a typical layout of an ABS equipped vehicle.
The stop light switch provides a signal that the ECU can use to determine that the brakes are being applied. The ECU, through the monitoring of the wheel speed sensor signals calculates any sudden reduction in wheel speed. The ECU will now control the hydraulic brake actuator to provide optimum brake fluid pressure to each brake to achieve maximum deceleration conditions.
The hydraulic brake actuator operates on control signals from the ECU to ‘reduce’, ‘hold’ or ‘increase’ brake fluid pressure as necessary in order to achieve and maintain an ideal slip ratio of 10% to 30% and avoid wheel lock up. These changes of braking state can be effected at a frequency of up to 60 times per second.
Types of ABS control
It is important to understand that the ABS is an addition to the existing conventional brake system. It does not replace any existing components.
Conventional hydraulic brake circuits appear in various different layouts (often determined by the weight distribution characteristics of the vehicle) and this can have a bearing on ABS hydraulic variances.
Hydraulic control variations
Diagonally split circuit
This system is often used on vehicles that have an uneven weight distribution, such as front engine, front wheel drive. This ensures that in the event of a single system failure there is always one loaded wheel that can be braked effectively. As the two rear brakes are not connected directly together (or the two fronts), the ABS actuator has to provide separate hydraulic connections for all four braked wheels. This is known as ‘four solenoid control’.
Front to rear split circuit
In the case of front to rear split circuits (even weight distribution vehicle layout), the actuator could have just one outlet for the rear brakes. It is important to note that the steered wheels are always controlled independently because of their importance to the maintenance of control (steerability).
If just a single hydraulic connection were used for the rear brakes then this would be known as ‘three solenoid control’.
Technical Information Bulletins - Powered by Blue Print
- Technical information library that is constantly updated
- Access to dozens of technical articles
- Comprehensive product information
- Detailed technical tips
Example of one of the many Blue Print Technical Bulletins:
Cabin Filter Locator - Powered by Blue Print
- Cabin filter locator guide for dozens of vehicles
- Easy to follow instructions
- Part number detail included
Screen shot taken from the Blue Print Cabin Filter Locator:
After you have registered your application you will instantly be able to view the three sections currently in the Technical Library. Once you have been verified you will then be able to download an ever-expanding list of technical bulletins, reference sheets and guides.
Blue Print is working with leading trainers in the automotive industry to develop a portfolio of IMI approved training courses for the modern car mechanic. The courses cover both fundamental skills and modern techniques in a range of popular and important subjects.
The following courses are available to book NOW:
- Air Con Systems and Refrigerant Handling Certification - Diagnosis and Repair
- Air Con Systems and Refrigerant Handling Certification - Servicing
- Essential Electrical Skills
- Multiplex & CAN Databus Systems (Including practical training)
For more information or to make a booking click on Blue Print Technical Training